Dreaming.

Dreaming.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Art and identity: The Museum of Modern Art", "Field Trip#1"

  Art making can change your personal views on something,it can make you question what you see and how you see it.There were many artworks that made me think a little hard in the terms of individual identity,cultural identity and identity of a historical time or place. While at the Moma, I chose three pieces of art that really stood out to me ,and showed me the three identity I wanted to see the artist had captured. 
      Lisa Oppenheim ,Volcano erupting, 1908/2012.This piece was taken by a man holding a large camera photographing a cataclysmic event ,possibly a volcano erupting.This piece is showing me Historical identity.Oppenheim embodies historical identity in this artwork ,she is showing me a event that took place ,during a certain time period ,this was a past event that occurred and was captured with a photograph.This work of art differ from the work of art I chose,the artwork has a certain belief ,this is showing me a time when an event was taking place and how it was captured in different photographs of the artwork,with different tones of gray to really embody the moment and question it.
 
 
 
 

Ana Ostoya,Mixed Psedomorphism of a true/False cry,2010.This piece is showing me individual identity, I feel as if the artist is showing me her as an artist,showing a feeling of what is simply real and what is simply fake.She captured this identity ,for the simple  fact she is showing me the difference of both sides ,i feel as if she is trying to tell me something ,about herself as an artist ,as an individual artist,she put this artwork in a unique way that really made me question what is the message of this piece,there are always two sides to something whether true or false. 

 
Leslie Hewitt,Riffs on Real Time,2002-05.Last but not least this artist really captured cultural identity.Hewitt really shows what she believes in through her lens, she takes different cultural objects and creates her artwork.I have to say by far this impressed me the most.I feel as if her work overlaps with any other piece of art for the simple fact she really uses a different approach when creating her piece.Hewitt takes popular and personal objects and really embodies the message she is really trying to send.

 
 
 
Sources
 
 Oppenheim,Lisa ,Volcano Erupting,1908/2012,(www.Moma.com)
 
Ostoya,Anna , Mixed Psedomorphism of a true/false cry,2010 (www.moma.com)
 
 Hewitt,Leslie ,Riffs on Real Time,2002-05 (www.moma.com)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment